Thursday, September 20, 2007

my story part two...

we moved to newcastle. my brother and i would spend all our school holidays there. we knew it well and loved holidaying there with aunt and uncle and nanna and keith(pop, he felt it made him sound too old). it had a different feel to it this time. now it was inescapable, irreversible, my new life. the one i did not want or ask for. the one i had no say in.
i did not go to school for a while. i wanted to. but the guardians ever watchful, caring eyes thought it best. who knows maybe they were right.
even aged ten i have acquired a taste for fashion and all its hideous 80's trends. i decided i would cut my long hair into a short bob and leave an incredibly long rats tail at the nape of my neck. this was me getting rid of the old, making myself into a different person.
my first day at my new school was exciting and scary and hurtful all at once.
people stared, shes the one who has no mother and father, shes the one that went to a school with nuns. i remember a girl called alison coming up to me, teasing me, taunting me. "you don't have a mother and you went to a weird school with nuns. she was the toughest girl in my year. i was intimidated by her. after that little doesy i jumped on top of her smashing every ounce of hurt and hate where ever i could. she got a bleeding nose and i got a counselling session to see how i was coping.
she never bothered me again.
after that i made some wonderful friends. some i still have to this day. but always the feeling of alienation. the worst was when we had excursions and the teacher would hand out permission slips saying 'now your parents must sign this' then they remembered i was in the class, 'or your guardians' eyes would penetrate and i would fight back my tears.
it was in black and white. parents, then a huge black/then guardians. i felt so alone in that category.

3 comments:

Miss Construed... said...

Was that Matchett?

She was a bully- but then you've got to remember her brother. He would have been a total prick to her.

I heard (and worse it was true)recently he had lured and raped at knifepoint a 12 yo girl.

Anyway; she still deserved her bloody nose.

The Rat's tail! That's one of the first things I remember about you!

x

wemmaly said...

it sure was. is that really true about david? i always knew he was a bad seed but that is a totally different category. what an absolute sadistic evil bastard. did he go to jail?

Miss Construed... said...

Yes it was true; my Mother and Mrs Matchett have stayed in contact over the years; Mum rang her and asked her about it when the story broke here on the news. Her and Mr M have been living in QLD for some time to 'escape' from David; I don't know what happened to Alison.

It happened near Edgeworth public school about a year ago. He had only just gotten out of jail before this happened and I'm pretty sure he would have gone back.

Bad seed indeed. There was always something wrong about him.