Tuesday, September 25, 2007

slipper familiy, they aren't golden, but they are mine.

i have made contact. i am officially back in my families lives.
its been 6 years of no contact with most of them. my aunty joan and uncle ron (my guardians) who i love, as they brought me up after my mothers death, my eldest and full blood brother jason, my youngest cousin mark, my half brother angus (have not spoke to him in around 10 years, and have not had much contact to do with him ever), my eldest half brother richard ( i have never had contact with him, he lives in the u.k) and my father, who i was forbidden to see after my mum died. i saw him once when i was a teenager, then again when i was 21 for about 2 weeks, then a year and a half ago i moved to melbourne and spent time with him for 9 months, then i left melbourne to move to the country in n.s.w and have not spoken to him in 8 months. then there was a quick phone call to scotland to speak with a great aunt i have never seen or heard of or from in my entire lifetime.
i forgot how demanding family are. i forgot how it felt to belong to blood. i forgot how quickly it can charge your heart with love.
family are like a pair of your favourite old slippers. they are comforting, warm and soothing. yet no one else can wear them as they are moulded to your feet, yours alone. sure they smell. they look worn out and old. most people would not attempt to put their toes into them, let alone wear them. but you wear them around the house, even wearing them down to the local shop to grab some milk. you love those stinky old slippers. and do you know why? to you, they are perfect. buy a new pair? how dare you suggest such a thing! i will wear those slippers until they die.
i am so happy i found mine again.
i tried going without them for too long.
my feet did not smell and no one commented on how old and had it they were.
but my feet got cold.
god it's wonderful to slip back into my old faithfuls.
i will wear them with dysfunctional pride.
and love it!

2 comments:

Elaine Denning said...

What a great line: 'I will wear them with dysfunctional pride.'
It takes all sorts of families to make this world go round, doesn't it? I'm glad you're back with them again.

Thanks for commenting on my blog. As soon as I read that you were a friend of Buffoons, I had to come and have a read! And yes...I will definitely be back :)

wemmaly said...

thanks sweets. i still cant get you on my blog its miss understood 707 and has zip on it.